Cinnamon roll cake with cream cheese frosting that's low carb, gluten & wheat free, sugar free, sweetened with monk fruit powder. Healthy and yummy! I have this healthy cake regularly for breakfast!
Who Doesn't Want Healthy Cinnamon Roll Cake for Breakfast?
When your cake is made of super healthy Me Alternative Baking Mix, is gluten/wheat free, sugar free, and is low carb, you can eat it whenever you want. Plus this yummy cake is single serve and can be mixed and baked in the same bowl (if you use the yogurt option).
I call this cinnamon roll cake because it tastes cinnamony and is topped with a cream cheese frosting.
I often eat this cake when I've had too many carbs the day before. It starts me out with only a little over five carbs.
It's easy to follow a balanced eating plan with this cake. You can also have it for any other meal or a snack.
Best of all, it's sweetened with pure monk fruit powder. Check out my post For the Love of Sugar: Addiction and Natural Substitutes if you aren't familiar with the many benefits of using monk fruit as a healthy sweetener.
Easy to Make Vegetarian or Vegan
Just use the vegetarian version of the baking mix, to make this cake vegetarian. All other ingredients are suitable for vegetarian diets.
To make this cake vegan, instead of using the baking mix, substitute equal amounts of almond flour, coconut flour and ground golden flax meal. Use an egg substitute for the egg. Use non-dairy yogurt and cream cheese (low carb for both). You may need to increase both the cinnamon and vanilla for a fuller flavor.
Use a Food Processor for the Cottage Cheese Option
I came up with the cottage cheese option one day when I was out of Greek yogurt. I was craving this cake and had all the other ingredients.
Unfortunately, using cottage cheese means you must blend the ingredients together so the cottage cheese is incorporated smoothly. I used a food processor.
You don't have to worry about over-blending because there's no gluten in this cake. However, I recommend to blend all the other ingredients, then add in the baking soda and process again to incorporate it.
Cream Cheese Frosting Makes the Cake Super Special
To make it super easy to mix the cream cheese frosting, I put the cream cheese in a small pyrex dish and heat it in the oven for the last five minutes the cake is baking.
Once the cream cheese is warm, it's super easy to mix in the monk fruit powder, cinnamon and vanilla.
Remember, toxins concentrate in fat. So, if you're using real cream cheese, this is a good option for organic.
I like to eat my cake warm, so I frost it as soon as I have the frosting mixed. Then, eat it immediately.
If you're not going to eat immediately, you can either wait to frost before eating or go ahead and frost and store the cake in the refrigerator until ready to eat it.
If you're going to freeze the cake, and it freezes well, just freeze, defrost and frost it before eating.
This cake is easy to make without common allergens. Here are suggestions based on allergy types:
- Replace the egg with your favorite egg replacer for egg allergies
- Replace the dairy with vegan dairy options that are low carb.
- Use the nut-free option for the Me Alternative Baking Mix
It's already gluten / wheat free and sugar free.
Make It a Meal
This cake is low carb and high fat. As a result, it's good for keto and is a Thin Healthy Mama S fuel.
Although it doesn't look like a large amount of food, I'm always quite full when I finish eating it. If you have a very large appetite, and you're having this cake for breakfast, then you can add an egg on the side or some type of breakfast meat or meat alternative (very low carb).
If you're having this cake as dessert, make sure to have it after a very low carb, light meal. It is a heavy dessert due to the fat content, protein content and flours used.
If you're having it as a snack, then you won't need to add anything else to it. It's a very filling snack.
Cinnamon Roll Cake for One
- 1/2 tbsp Nutiva butter flavored coconut oil or olive oil and 1/4 tsp butter flavoring
- 1 egg or egg substitute
- Dash vanilla
- 1 tbsp 2% cottage cheese or fat free Greek yogurt or non-dairy low carb substitute
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 cup Me Alternative Baking Mix
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 to 1 tsp cinnamon
- monk fruit powder to taste
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1-2 tbsp Neufchatel cream cheese
- dash vanilla
- monk fruit powder to taste
- dash cinnamon
- 1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.2. Melt the coconut oil in the dish you plan to bake the cake in. I use a one cup ramekin or pyrex dish.
- 3. If using the yogurt option, mix all the cake ingredients in the same bowl you melted the coconut oil in. Add the egg last so it doesn't cook in the hot oil.
- 4. If using the cottage cheese option, use a food processor, mixer or blender to incorporate the cottage cheese with the other cake ingredients until smooth.
- 5. Bake cake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- 1. Put the cream cheese in an oven safe bowl and heat for the last five minutes the cake is baking.
- 2. Remove the warm cream cheese from the oven and add in the vanilla, cinnamon, and monk fruit powder to taste. Mix with a spoon until well mixed.
- 3. Frost the cake with the cream cheese.
- You can substitute 1 tbsp plus 1 tsp each of coconut flour, almond flour, and golden flax meal for the Me Alternative Baking Mix. (This will slightly change the nutritional values, but will not add significant carbs.)
- Monk fruit powder is to taste because perception of sweetness can vary by person. Remember, you can easily add more, but you can't take it out. Start small.
- Cream cheese frosting is optional, as is the amount of cream cheese. I like alot!
- Cooking times will vary based on different ovens.
- I prefer to eat this cake while hot. However it can be stored and eaten later.
- If freezing, do not frost the cake before freezing. Frost after defrosted.
Nutrition*: Total Fat: 23.0g, Total Carbohydrates: 19.3g, Dietary Fiber: 13.6g, Net Carbs: 5.7g, Protein: 16.7g
*For single serving with standard choices plus these optional choices fat free Greek yogurt, 2 tbsp Neufchatel cream cheese.